Once upon a time, there was a chai latte and an espresso. They were both very different, but they were drawn to each other. The chai latte was sweet and spicy, while the espresso was bold and strong. But when they came together, they created something magical!
The dirty chai latte was born in the ‘90’s when a barista mistakenly added a shot of espresso to a customer’s chai latte order. Luckily for all of us dirty chai latte lovers, the patron’s curiosity and general relaxed nature took hold and instead of asking for a replacement, he took a sip of this new concoction! One sip led to another, and the craze was born. It was the perfect blend of the two loves, with the chai latte's sweetness and spice balanced by the espresso's boldness. It was a drink that was both invigorating and comforting, and it quickly became a favorite among coffee and tea lovers alike.
Now, let's celebrate this iconic blend with a special recipe! Steeped has created a delicious dirty chai latte recipe using your favorite Steeped Packs to honor National Chai Day. Grab your mugs and get ready to spice up your life!
Steeped’s Dirty Chai Latte
- 1 chai bag
- 1 cup (8oz) of hot brewed Steeped Coffee
- 1/2 cup of milk or milk substitute
- 1 tablespoon of honey (adjust to taste)
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground cardamom
- A pinch of ground ginger
- A pinch of ground cloves
- Brew a cup (8oz) of Steeped (we recommend using our Odyssey Blend or Mr. Espresso’s Seven Bridges for this recipe) by placing a Steeped Bag in a cup and gradually pouring over 8 oz of hot water. Dunk the bag for 15-30 seconds, or longer for added strength. Let the Bag immerse itself for 5+ min. Leave the Steeped Bag in the cup or until preferred taste.
- Place a chai bag in your favorite cup and pour the hot brewed coffee over the top of the chai bag.
- Allow the chai bag to immerse itself in the coffee for a few minutes to infuse the flavors.
- Remove the tea bag and stir in the honey until dissolved.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan or microwave until hot but not boiling.
- Froth the hot milk until it becomes creamy and airy.
- Pour in the frothed milk, stirring gently to combine.
- Sprinkle a pinch of ground cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and the cloves on top.
- Give a final stir to your delicious Dirty Chai Latte!
The dirty chai latte is a story of love and acceptance. It's a reminder that two different things can come together to create something even better! So next time you're looking for a delicious and satisfying drink, reach for a dirty chai latte. It's the perfect way to start your day or afternoon pick-me-up.